Quick Guide to Google AMP
When Google released the new updates about mobile friendliness, the website owners started looking forward to a faster mobile experience. Then gradually a phase arrived when Google made it one of the mobile search engine ranking factors. It is good if you optimize your website pages for mobile, but if they aren’t loading quickly, that’s a biggest bottleneck which discourages the users from enjoying the content. So what is the solution?
It’s time to speed up your mobile pages! Here’s the quick guide that can accelerate your mobile pages.
What is Google AMP?
AMP is Accelerated Mobile Pages. This plugin was born due to collaboration of Google and Twitter.
AMP, name itself suggests that it aids in accelerating the loading speed on slower internet devices. Now, it is an open source initiative that is supported by big technologies like Google and Twitter. It filters heavy script data which loads the website faster. If you are okay to compromise user experience, you can try Google AMP
Guide to Google AMP
Statistics from KISSmetrics shows about 40% people will leave the webpage if it takes more than 3 seconds to load the page. Say for example, if your website is making $10,000 a day, simply a one second delay would potentially cost you $0.25 million lost in sales every year.
Thus, AMP becomes the best solution for you.
What makes AMP faster?
- There are limited tags which accelerate the website loading on a mobile device
- Streamlined CSS which means you can use most of CSS, but some part fall under best practice. So they are not allowed at all.
- AMP is designed to be heavily catched so that Google can host these pages. Your content is simply hosted here so that they don’t even need to fetch it from you.
- No forms are allowed on AMP plugin pages.
- To avoid offbeat images, you need to declare height and width.
- For videos, you need to use only AMP-extension.
So the overall idea is that the whole platform is designed for pure readability and pure speed.
How to be prepared for AMP?
Step 1: Built AMP pages and make sure you’re doing it well
Step 2: Work out on how to streamline building pages?
Step 3: Use built-in Chrome tool to validate your AMP pages. Once you open this developer tool in Chrome, you can ask it to validate, “Is this an AMP page?” and it will tell you the problems if any.
If you own a CMS, like WordPress then there are plugins available which you can download.
How does AMP work?
- AMP HTML: It is basically a subset of HTML which has some custom tags and properties
- AMP CDN: Optional Content Delivery network will take your AMP enabled pages, cache them and automatically make performance optimization.
The AMP plugin quickly renders your mobile page by cutting on the HTML code tag manager and it will only render those that are suitable for mobile users.
Benefits of AMP
Let’s quickly look at top 5 benefits of AMP plugin
- Instantly fast loading pages for mobile users. As we studied earlier, 1 second delay will lead you lower conversion rates and drastic increase in bounce rate resulting in losses in long run. So get ready to experience great impact on high page speed with AMP. Contact experts from Atlantix Digital and start accelerating your mobile pages.
- Rise in mobile browser visibility for content marketers. Google has now started displaying AMP results in organic listing. You can identify by having an eye on AMP symbols in Green.
It is obvious that if you have more attention grabbing results, there increases the probability for more clicks on your website leading to improved click-through rate
Improved mobile search engine rankings. As you know that there is a strong correlation between website speed and conversion rate. In a way, if the users are happy with the loading speed, there are more chances to subscribe or to purchase the product.
4. Flexible add support. With AMP you can get rid of distractions on your mobile browser page. Because all HTML tags are not executed and you just have to use streamlined CSS. Definitely, we need to focus on this as we can see increase in mobile users as compare to desktop users.
So, if at all you plan to display ads from 3rd parties on AMP pages, make sure you deliver ads that load quickly, adds users attention and deliver immense value. Simply help your visitors to get answer for their questions and gradually enjoy the increase in ROI on ad spend.
You can use the following add functionality:
- Amazon A9
- Google Doubleclick
- Google AdSense
- AOL AdTech
- Smart AdServer
- DotAndAds etc
5) User tracking made easy. Simply sending the traffic to your mobile browser page is not enough. You need to keep an eye, from where did the traffic arrive? It helps you to determine the source of the traffic and the pages they visited. Here, with AMP’s analytical tools, you can study the AMP versions in detail. Have a quick glimpse on analytical page of AMP
How do you setup Google AMP on blog website?
- Login to your Blogger Blog.
- Navigate to Design and Click on Edit Template.
- Modify the existing tags to sync with AMP formatted tags. Replace the Existing code with modified code.
- Save the template.
- Your AMP is configured in Blogger now.
How will you Validate Google AMP in blogger?
To Validate your Google AMP Pages, you can visit the official website of Google AMP. IF there is any error, the validator will show the error.
You can also follow below URL to validate Blogger https://validator.ampproject.org/
That’s it! You are all set to enjoy your site performance now.
Still having issues?
Feel free to connect to our experts now